CHENG Concrete Countertop Pro-Formula is the most trusted concrete countertop mix available with over 1 Million Square feet of concrete countertops cast using CHENG Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix.
Transforms your locally-bagged concrete into a highly durable, color-rich blend, making it ideal for pre-casting concrete countertops that are beautiful and truly personalized.
- Convenient — Each pre-measured bag yields 1 cubic foot of mix when combined with 120 pounds of concrete
- Affordable — Countertops as low as $2.88/ s.f. at 1-1/2" thick
- Fast — Only four days between casting and demolding
- Colorful — Available in 18 pre-blended colors
- Creative — Base Pro-Formula + your color blend = Unlimited color possibilities
- Durable — Expertly-formulated strengthening agents dramatically improve crack-resistance, make castings harder and more abrasion-resistant
Professional-Grade Performance at an Affordable Price
- Built upon a legacy of design and expertise — Your final projects will have the durability and unmatched surface finish quality developed by Fu-Tung Cheng’s 35+ years working with concrete — from countertops to concrete houses.
- Complete System of Products — including CHENG Acrylic Slurry, Sealer, and Wax — work together to produce the most durable and most ideal concrete surface finish.
- Starting at $2.88/ s.f. for a 1-1/2” thick countertop (including local bagged concrete) Countertop Pro-Formula is an affordable, customizable solution compared to other surface materials like granite, marble and machined composites.
Simple Mix Process and Fast Project Turnaround
- Pre-blended formula that makes a pourable, workable mix ideal for pre-cast projects: Simply add water and 5000-psi concrete to Pro-Formula for a no-fuss recipe.
- De-mold your project and immediately start surface-finishing after only 4 days in the form.
- Depending on your desired finish and project size, it's possible to complete and install within a week!
Total Creative Control for Custom Results
- Select from 18 rich, natural Color Blends designed by Fu-Tung Cheng — pre-blended colors are saturated with the highest quality, most durable pigments
- Base Pro-Formula — offers a natural concrete color or can be custom-colored as desired
- Absolute finest concrete finish possible — a smooth, dense surface without "holes"
- Choose a Visual Texture — from finely polished to deeply ground terrazzo finish or create detailed impressions of patterns or objects
- Achieve Various Sheens — Matte, Satin, Gloss are all possible
- Build in Design Details — embedded cutting boards, trivets, fossils, coins, bowls
- Create Beyond Countertops — make fireplace surrounds, furniture, tabletops, water features and sculpture; Pro-Formula is limited only by imagination!
CHENG Concrete Countertop Pro-Formula Note:
CHENG Concrete recommends and strongly endorses the use of Sakrete's 5000 Plus High Strength Concrete Mix
Before You Begin
CHENG Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix is specially formulated to be used in its entirety as directed. Using Pro-Formula in proportions that differ from specifications provided may result in a poor quality product. DO NOT follow water requirements on the packaging of the sacked concrete mix. ProFormula will reduce the amount of water needed in the mix. CHENG Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix is an all-in-one formulation developed by Fu-Tung Cheng that takes the guesswork out of measuring and mixing multiple ingredients to make pre-cast concrete countertops. These instructions explain how to mix CHENG Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix with sacked concrete and water and how to fill your mold with the mixture. We strongly recommend that first-time countertop builders read Cheng’s book, Concrete Countertops Made Simple or review our online step-by-step guides for making concrete countertops. These resources will help prepare you for successful completion of your own concrete countertop.Buying Your Materials
Pro-Formula Mix is packaged for 1cu.ft (28 L) yield. One cu.ft.(28 L) of ProFormula
Mix requires 120 lbs (55 kg) of 5000 PSI concrete mix.
To determine the amount of material you will need, calculate the volume of your mold in either
cubic feet or liters. Multiply the Length x Width x Depth of your mold in inches OR in meters, then
divide the total by 1728 (the volume of one cu.ft.) to calculate the volume of your mold in cubic
feet OR multiply by 1000 to calculate its volume in liters. Do not subtract any sink and faucet
Example: Your countertop is 86" L (2.1844m) x 24" W (0.6096m) poured at 2-½" D (0.0635m):
CHENG Pro-Formula Mix: 86"x 24"x 2-½"= 5160 / 1728 = 3 cu.ft.**We recommend adding at least 1/2 cu.ft (14 L) of Pro-Formula Mix to your calculation in order to compensate for a yield that may be lower than expected or any residue left in the mixer, wheelbarrow or on tools.Calculate Your Project:
Length_____in X Width_____in X Depth______in = __________ cu.in.
_____ cu.in. / 1728 cu.in. = _________ cu.ft. of CHENG Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop MixMixing the Materials:
- Be ready to start! Before starting, make sure the inside of your mold is clean and that your vibrator, screed board and other tools are readily accessible.
- Place the bagged concrete mix and the Pro-Formula Mix into the mixer and run the mixer for a few minute. While wearing your dust mask, first place the bagged concrete mix and then the Pro-FormulaMix into the mixer. Cover the mixer with a plastic tarp and a bungee cord to prevent the dry materials from becoming airborne. Run the mixer for a few minutes to mix the dry materials.
- Make sure there are no clumps of unmixed materials. Stop the mixer and remove the plastic cover. Check the dry materials to make sure there are no clumps of unmixed materials. If the fibers or other materials are clumped, break them up with your gloved hands.
- Start the mixer again and slowly add 1 gal of water per cu.ft. of mixture. Run the mixer for about 5 minutes. While the mixer is running, distribute the water evenly over the dry materials. Initially, the mixture will appear dry and clumpy. This is normal; the admixtures in the mix will need time to “wet out” for approximately 5 minutes of mixing, the clumps will begin to break up. NOTE: DO NOT follow water requirements on the packaging of the sacked concrete mix. Once blended with Pro-Formula Mix, the mix will require less water.
- If necessary, slowly add more water in 1-cup increments. When the mixture has reached the consistency of runny oatmeal, turn off the mixer. A mix that is too dry is hard to pour and vibrate; a mix that is too wet is likely to shrink excessively and crack. The simplest method to determine the right consistency is to perform a basic slump test. To do so, fill a plastic cup (minimum size is 15 fl.oz ) with the freshly mixed concrete and pack it well, then place it upside-down on a flat, rigid surface. Punch a ¼" hole in the cup bottom to allow air to enter and carefully lift the cup in a steady movement without stopping. The slump is the vertical distance the concrete settles. Measurement is taken in the average height of the concrete. The slump should be half the height of the plastic cup.
- Let the mixture “rest” for a minute to absorb any remaining water. It will stiffen a bit while resting. Turn the mixer back on for a final two minutes
- TOTAL MIX TIME: 1 cu.ft CHENG Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix: 8-12 minutes. Allow more time for larger batches. cu.ft.
- Turn the mixer off and pour the mixture into a clean wheelbarrow for transport to prepared molds.
Filling the Mold
- Place the Pro-Formula concrete countertop mixture into the mold until it is half-full. Filling the mold until it is half-full will allow you to vibrate the mixture in layers.
- Vibrate the first layer of the mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture flows evenly across the entire bottom of the mold. Vibrate the first layer of Pro-Formula mixture by immersing the head of the vibrator horizontally into the mixture and vibrating until the mixture flows evenly across the entire bottom of the mold. Carefully vibrate around the rebar or other reinforcing material and then vibrate the mixture from underneath the table or structure holding the mold. In the difficult to reach places, you will have to work the mixture by hand (wearing rubber gloves) but be careful not to upset any decorative aggregates or other inlays. Vibrating the first layer of mixture should take 3-5 minutes.
- Fill the mold up to the top and vibrate the outside (sides and ends) of the mold for approximately 5 minutes, or until only a few air bubbles are still rising to the surface. This should take approximately 5 minutes. If necessary, screed the surface using a clean, straight piece of wood. Work the screed diagonally across the surface with a sawing-like motion
- Clip all wires: if you have used any reinforcing material, it should now be covered with mixture and is self-supported. You can now clip the wire inside the mixture so that the wire will not be exposed on the bottom surface.
- Cover the mold to keep humidity in and let cure for 4 days. Especially if conditions are dry, cover the mold to keep it humid for 4 days. The ambient temperature should be between 50-90ºF (10-32ºC). Do not cure your countertop in sunlight.
Releasing the Countertop from the Mold
- Release the countertop from the mold 4 full days following the pour.
- Remove all positioning screws that are used to fasten the mold together as well as any screws used to secure it to the table (or other support structure).
- Remove the walls of the mold by gently prying them away from the countertop. Slow, constant pressure is the best way to remove the walls. If using a prying tool, DO NOT pry between the walls and concrete as this may chip the countertop!
- Remove the bottom of the mold. To remove the bottom of the mold, which is the top of the countertop, you'll need two people to turn the entire structure over. Carefully slide the countertop to the edge of the table so that 1/3 of it hangs over the edge. Place 1" strips of rigid foam across the surface of the table for cushioning. Tilt the countertop up on one side and carefully turn it over (see image 4) and rest it on the foam strips. Securely hold the countertop itself, rather than the mold, as you turn because the mold may release in mid-air. Make sure that you do not flex the countertop because doing so may cause slight cracks. Remove the bottom of the mold by pulling up on one corner using steady pressure.
- Cure your countertop for 2 days in a warm, humid environment. It is not necessary to hydrate the countertop. Do not cure the countertop in sunlight. The countertop will get harder each day. Make sure the countertop has sufficiently hardened before polishing.
| 1/2/2016 8:42 am
Looking forward to my next concrete countertop by Tom - verified purchaser
Your Pro-Formula mix made our first concrete countertop project (an outdoor kitchen) so successful that we've decided to use concrete on our game room bar. We really liked how the Sand color turned out and are going to use charcoal for bar.
The mix was very workable and easy to use. Since I'd never poured concrete before, I was skeptical of the results but we mixed it with the Sakrete 5000 in a rented concrete mixer and everything turned out beautiful.
Keep up the good work