SCHONOX AP is suitable on:
- gypsum substrates concrete, cement substrates
- old substrates such as ceramic tiles, terrazzo and sheet vinyl
- old, water-resistant adhesive residues
- OSB board, plywood (well screwed and/or bonded) prior to install flexible coverings.
Requirements of Substrate
- Subfloors must be smooth, sound, clean, dry and free of any contaminants which may hinder adhesion.
- Surface treatments or any “friable” areas of the subfloor must be mechanically removed back to a sound base and the substrate repaired with SCHÖNOX repair compounds as required.
- Thoroughly vacuum all dust or other loose material.
- All slabs on or below grade level must be known to have an intact vapor retarder directly beneath the concrete in conformance to the relevant standards. If in doubt, please contact our SCHÖNOX representative for further advise.
- This product is not a vapor barrier and will allow free passage of moisture. Follow the directions of the floor covering manufacturer regarding the maximum allowable substrate moisture content and test the substrate prior to installing SCHÖNOX AP. Where substrate moisture exceeds the maximum allowed then application of SCHÖNOX SDG, SCHÖNOX MR 18 or SCHÖNOX EPA may be used to suppress residual moisture (see data sheet).
- Gypsum screeds should always be dry. Do not use moisture mitigation systems on gypsum substrates.
- Old water-soluble adhesives should be removed completely, old water-resistant adhesives should be mechanically removed as far as possible. The complete mechanical removal of cutback (i.e. grinding, sanding, blasting) can be hazardous as old cutback adhesive may contain asbestos. Do not sand or grind adhesive residue. Harmful dust may result. Inhalation of asbestos dust may cause asbestosis or other serious bodily harm. Please consult the adhesive manufacturer and all applicable government agencies for rules and regulations concerning the removal of flooring and adhesives that contain asbestos. Prime remaining adhesive residues accordingly.
- Old floors such as ceramic tiles should be thoroughly cleaned and abraded.
- The requirements of the relevant valid standards, guidelines and data sheets apply.
- Standard absorbent substrates such as:
- concrete, cement substrates Prime with SCHONOX VD (1:3)
- Non-absorbent, smooth, sound substrates such as:
Prime with SCHONOX SHP
- ceramic tiles
- old water-resistant adhesive residue, removed as far as possible
- Gypsum substrates (sanded and vacuumed)
Prime with SCHONOX KH FIX
- Wooden substrates such as:
- mix each 55lb bag with 6.0 liters / 6.3 quarts of water
- if SCHÖNOX AP is extended with aggregate (aggregate is added last):
- Aggregates at layer thickness 1/2“ – 2“: approx. 65% wt. clean silica sand (0.1 – 3.0 mm).
Do not overwater! Foam while mixing, or settling of the sand aggregate while placing, indicates overwatering.
Limitation of Liability
To the best of our knowledge, the technical data contained herein are true and accurate at the date of issuance but are subject to change without prior notice. We guarantee our product to conform to the specifications contained herein. We make no other warranty or guarantee of any kind, express or implied, including merchantability and fitness for particular purpose. Liability, if any, is limited to replacement of the product or refund of the purchase price. Labor or cost of labor and other consequential damages are hereby excluded. SCHÖNOX does not authorize anyone, including SCHÖNOX Representatives, to make any statements which supersede, modify or supplement the information provided on its printed literature or package labels without written confirmation.
- 0g/l (calculated), SCAQMD 1113