Requirements of Substrate
- Subfloors must be smooth, sound, clean, dry and free of any contaminants which may hinder adhesion.
- Surface treatments or any “friable” areas of the subfloor must be mechanically removed back to a sound base and the substrate repaired with SCHÖNOX repair compounds as required.
- On porous substrates use SCHÖNOX VD.
- All slabs on or below grade level must be known to have an intact vapor retarder directly beneath the concrete in conformance to the relevant standards. If in doubt, please contact our SCHÖNOX representative for further advice.
- This product is not a vapor barrier and will allow free passage of moisture. Follow the directions of the floor covering manufacturer regarding the maximum allowable substrate moisture content and test the substrate prior to installing SCHÖNOX SHP. Where substrate moisture exceeds the maximum allowed then application of SCHÖNOX SDG, SCHÖNOX MR 18 or SCHÖNOX EPA may be used to suppress residual moisture (see data sheet).
- Gypsum screeds should always be dry. Do not use moisture mitigation systems on gypsum substrates.
- Old water-soluble adhesives should be removed completely, old water-resistant adhesives should be mechanically removed as far as possible. The complete mechanical removal of cutback (i.e. grinding, sanding, blasting) can be hazardous as old cutback adhesive may contain asbestos. Do not sand or grind adhesive residue. Harmful dust may result. Inhalation of asbestos dust may cause asbestosis or other serious bodily harm. Please consult the adhesive manufacturer and all applicable government agencies for rules and regulations concerning the removal of flooring and adhesives that contain asbestos. Prime remaining adhesive residues accordingly.
- The requirements of the relevant valid standards, guidelines and data sheets apply.
Old vinyl, linoleum and rubber coverings (up to 2.5 mm)
- Recommended leveling compounds: SCHÖNOX AP, SCHÖNOX APF
- Substrates consisting of old vinyl coverings with cushioned backings are not suitable.
- In heavy loaded areas (e.g. hospitals), laying on top of old coverings is not recommended.
- Soft old coverings are not suitable for installation of parquet. Please consult our technical service.
- Old coverings must be well fitted to the substrate. Poorly attached coverings should be removed.
- Vinyl, linoleum and rubber coverings should be thoroughly cleaned and grinded. Quartz vinyl coverings should be cleaned thoroughly.
- As it is only possible to partially test the full surface bond on old coverings, especially on larger surfaces, we recommend that a warranty is given to the client only for the processing materials used.
Limitation of Liability
To the best of our knowledge, the technical data contained herein are true and accurate at the date of issuance but are subject to change without prior notice. We guarantee our product to conform to the specifications contained herein. We make no other warranty or guarantee of any kind, express or implied, including merchantability and fitness for particular purpose. Liability, if any, is limited to replacement of the product or refund of the purchase price. Labor or cost of labor and other consequential damages are hereby excluded. SCHÖNOX does not authorize anyone, including SCHÖNOX Representatives, to make any statements which supersede, modify or supplement the information provided on its printed literature or package labels without written confirmation.
- Apply SCHONOX SHP undiluted
Recommended Method of Working
- Stir SCHÖNOX SHP before use
- Apply SCHÖNOX SHP avoiding puddles using a suitable tool such as a 1/4“ nap roller, paintbrush or brush, short-pile roller or pad applicator. Avoid formation of puddles.
- Clean tools in water immediately after use.
- 1.0 gallon in plastic container
- 2.44 gallons in plastic container
- Store in cool, frost-free conditions.
- Shelf life: 12 months unopened.
- Canisters that have been opened should be closed immediately.
- 0g/l (calculated), SCAQMD 1113
- Empty canisters and dispose of in accordance with federal, state and local waste disposal regulations.
May help contribute to LEED certification of projects in these categories
Low-Emitting Materials – 1 to 3 points
- Follow the product data sheets for the SCHÖNOX supplementary products mentioned and used.
- If in doubt, please obtain further manufacturer’s information or test in a small area.
- Avoid eye and skin contact. Close container after each use. Do not reuse container. Do not flush primer down drains, sewers or waterways. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Carefully read and follow all cautions and warnings on product label. For complete safety information, please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet, or visit our website at www.schonox.us.
The applicable recommendations, guidelines, regulations and safety data sheets are to be observed, together with the recognized architectural and engineering regulations. We guarantee that our products leave the factory in perfect condition. While our recommendations for use are based on tests and practical experience, they can only provide general guidance without any assurance as to product characteristics, since we have no influence over the conditions on site, the execution of the work or the method of processing. This product data sheet supersedes all previous editions.