Requirements of Substrate
- Subfloors must be smooth, sound, clean, dry and free of any contaminants which may hinder adhesion.
- Surface treatments or any ”friable” areas of the subfloor must be mechanically removed and the subfloor repaired with SCHÖNOX underlayments as required.
- All slabs on or below grade level must be known to have an intact vapor retarder directly beneath the concrete in conformance to the relevant standards. If in doubt, please contact our SCHÖNOX representative for further advise.
- This product is not a vapor barrier and will allow free passage of moisture. Follow the directions of the floor covering manufacturer regarding the maximum allowable substrate moisture content and test the substrate prior to installing SCHÖNOX VD. Where substrate moisture exceeds the maximum allowed then application of SCHÖNOX SDG, SCHÖNOX MR 18 or SCHÖNOX EPA may be used to suppress residual moisture (see data sheet).
- Gypsum screeds should always be dry. Do not use moisture mitigation systems on gypsum substrates.
- Gypsum substrates should be grinded and vacuumed prior to further treatment.
- Extremely porous substrates may require a second primer coat to avoid the following underlayment to be affected (pin-holing, surface irregularities). Apply second coat (undiluted) when the first coat (diluted 1:1) is dry to the touch, driying time of second coat approx. 12 hours.
- Old water-soluble adhesives should be removed completely, old water-resistant adhesives should be mechanically removed as far as possible. The complete mechanical removal of cutback (i.e. grinding, sanding, blasting) can be hazardous as old cutback adhesive may contain asbestos. Do not sand or grind adhesive residue. Harmful dust may result. Inhalation of asbestos dust may cause asbestosis or other serious bodily harm. Please consult the adhesive manufacturer and all applicable government agencies for rules and regulations concerning the removal of flooring and adhesives that contain asbestos. Prime remaining adhesive residues accordingly.
- Old floors such as ceramic tiles should be thoroughly cleaned and grinded.
- The requirements of the relevant valid standards, guidelines and data sheets apply.
The applicable recommendations, guidelines, regulations and safety data sheets are to be observed, together with the recognized architectural and engineering regulations. We guarantee that our products leave the factory in perfect condition. While our recommendations for use are based on tests and practical experience, they can only provide general guidance without any assurance as to product characteristics, since we have no influence over the conditions on site, the execution of the work or the method of processing. This product data sheet supersedes all previous editions.
Limitation of Liability
To the best of our knowledge, the technical data contained herein are true and accurate at the date of issuance but are subject to change without prior notice. We guarantee our product to conform to the specifications contained herein. We make no other warranty or guarantee of any kind, express or implied, including merchantability and fitness for particular purpose. Liability, if any, is limited to replacement of the product or refund of the purchase price. Labor or cost of labor and other consequential damages are hereby excluded. SCHÖNOX does not authorize anyone, including SCHÖNOX Representatives, to make any statements which supersede, modify or supplement the information provided on its printed literature or package labels without written confirmation.