Basalt Rebar is an alternative to steel and fiberglass for reinforcing concrete.
Classified until 1995, this newcomer to the world of concrete reinforcement is making waves among both pre-casters and pour-in-place contractors. Spun from molten rock, these fibers are stronger than steel and 89% lighter.
Basalt rebar provides many benefits and applications for the precast concrete professional:
- A 3mm basalt rod is equivalent to #3 or 3/8" steel rebar
- Cuts with standard cutting tools
- Increased flexural strength
- Basalt rebar is completely resistant to alkali in concrete and requires no special coatings
- Does NOT conduct electricity or induce electrical fields
- Does NOT absorb or wick water
- Perfect for marine environments and and any place corrosion is a continuous concern
- Has the same thermal coefficient expansion as concrete!
- Available in 50 foot bundles of 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm thickness
Use basalt rebar with your favorite concrete mixes:
- Surecrete D-FRC - Casting Mix
- Surecrete Xtreme Series -Precast Mix
- Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix
- NeoMix Original Concrete Mix
Basalt Rebar is Available in 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm diameter. The bundles are packaged as (10) 5' lengths.