FLATWORK (SLABS, SIDEWALKS, WALKWAYS, ETC.)
POSTS AND POLES:
- Stake out the area where the concrete will be placed.
- Cut and remove all soil, grass, sod, etc.
- For improved drainage place several inches of gravel into the excavated area. Remember to allow enough depth for both the gravel and a minimum of 4” of concrete.
- Place forms in the desired area assuring that they are level, square, and all corners sealed so no premixed material can escape once placed.
- Place the concrete into the forms to full depth
- Consolidate by moving into corners and low areas to assure there are no voids
- Using a straight edge strike the surface by rodding back and forth to level with the top of the forms.
- Float surface to remove any imperfections.
- Using a concrete grooving tool, cut joints into the concrete every 3 - 4 ft (.9 - 1.2 m). Expansion joints should be placed every 8 ft x 12 ft in each direction and must extend through the entire depth of the slab.
- Once concrete has stiffened slightly and the water has evaporated from the surface a broom finish can be applied. Forms can be removed the day following placement.
- Dig hole to required depth and diameter (depth should be 1/3 the length of the post or pole and hole should be 3 times the diameter of the pole or post width).
- Place the post or pole in the center of the hole.
- Level and support post or pole in place.
- Fill hole with mixed concrete and consolidate to remove any air voids
- Slope concrete at the surface to allow water to drain away.
- Wait a minimum of 24 hours before posts or poles are subjected to any strain.
- If load bearing consult with your local building code requirements before proceeding.
The higher strength provided by 5000 Plus allows it to be used in making concrete countertops as thin as 1.5 inches when combined with Pro-Formula Concrete Countertop Mix
. For complete details on the manufacture and installation of concrete countertops visit the Concrete Exchange How-to Center REPAIRS:
- Surfaces to be repaired must be sound, dimensionally stable, and clean.
- Slick or sealed surfaces must be thoroughly roughened to an ICRI CSP of 3 to 5.
- Sides of repair area must be squared off.
- Clean all reinforcing steel to bare white metal and coat with a rust preventative if not covering within 8 hours.
- All surfaces that will come in contact with the concrete mix should be brought to a SSD (Surface Saturated Dry) condition before application of the material.
- Clean and remove all loose materials and debris before proceeding.
- Place the mixed concrete mix into the area that is being repaired.
- Use a float to remove any surface imperfections.
- Empty contents of Sakrete 5000 Plus High Strength Concrete into a wheel- barrow or mortar pan forming a crater in the center of the dry mix for the addition of clean potable water. Projects requiring multiple bags are mixed much easier with a mechanical concrete mixer.
- Add clean potable water (see table above for water amounts) or enough to achieve a workable mix. Add additional water if needed but AVOID A SOUPY MIX. Excess water reduces strength and durability and can cause cracking, dusting or scaling.
- Proper curing is critical for sound results. Curing means maintaining proper moisture and temperature. The concrete must be kept continuously moist for several days.
- Covering the concrete slab with plastic is a practical way to help retain moisture. Place plastic after concrete has set.
- If surface begins to appear dry remove the plastic moisten the surface and replace the plastic.
- New concrete can be opened to foot traffic in 24 hours and vehicular traffic in 48 hours.
Air, mix and substrate temperatures should be between 40°F (4°C) and 90°F (32°C) with no rain in the forecast within 24 hours of application. For applications outside this range of temperatures and conditions, contact Sakrete Technical Service.
- Colder temperatures or higher humidity conditions will retard set times
- Use only clean mixing container and tools
- Do not over trowel
- Do not overwater
- Do not add any materials other than clean potable water or Sakrete Bonder and Fortifier. See Technical Data Sheet for mixing instructions
- Protect from freezing for 48 hours NOTE: Proper application and installation of all Sakrete products are the responsibility of the end user.
READ and UNDERSTAND the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) before using this product. WARNING: Wear protective clothing and equipment. For emergency information, call CHEMTREC at 800-424-9300 or 703-527-3887 (outside USA). KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.