Sika Latex R
Sika Latex R is a non-reemulsifiable bonding adhesive and fortifier. It can be used in patching, flash coats, stucco, and terrazzo.
- Admixture used in cement based products to improve adhesion, achieve a denser surface, and improve overall performance.
- As a bonding grout when mixed with sand and portland cement.
- Remove all deteriorated concrete, dirt, oil, grease, and all bond-inhibiting materials from surface.
- Be sure repair is not less than 1/8 in. (3.2 mm) in depth.
- Preparation work should be done by high pressure water blast, scabbler, or other appropriate mechanical means to obtain an aggregate-fractured surface with a minimum surface profile of 1/16 in. (1.6 mm).
- Saturate surface with clean water. Substrate should be saturated surface dry (SSD) with no standing water during application.
- As admixture/mixing solution: With mixer running, add materials in the following order: SikaLatex R solution and then the cement based product. Replace the amount of water recommended by the product. Do not dilute with water.
- As a bonding grout: With the mixer running, add in the following order. SikaLatex R solution, aggregate, cement. The ratio is 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, and a sufficient amount of undiluted SikaLatex R to produce a creamy paint consistency. Maximum 4 gal./ sack of cement (15L/sack of cement).
- As a primer for acrylic coatings: No dilution is required. Use as is.
- Admixture: Immediately trowel SikaLatex R mortar or concrete mix into ares to be patched. Do not over-finish. As soon as the application is done, to prevent damage, cure with damp burlap and/or white pigmented polyethylene fil,. Curing should continue for 24 hours. Pre-testing is recommended when adding SikaLatex R to a specific mix design to assure the results required.
- Bonding Grout: Brush grout into area to be resurfaced with stiff-bristled broom of scrub brush. Be sure entire surface and all edges are coated. Apply topping immediately over scrub coat before the bonding slurry dries.
- Primer (for acrylic coatings only): Apply undiluted SikaLatex R to prepared concrete substrate using brushes, rollers, soft brooms, or spray. SikaLatex R must be tack-free (film formation) prior to coating. Estimated coverage on a CSP-3 prepared surface is 300 ft2/gal. (7 m2/l) SikaLatex R primer may be applied up to 24 hours ahead providing the area is kept dry and clean. Very porous concrete may require a second coat of SikaLatex R to seal the surface.
- Not resistant to UV rays unless painted, covered, or coated.
- Will not adhere to polyethylene, teflon, silicone, oils and greases, mold release agents, and similar materials.
- Do not expose to open flame or temperatures above 120°F (49°C). Excessive heat can cause shorter shelf life.
- Not intended as a firestop.
- Do not use where temperatures rise above 240°F (116°C).
- As with all cement based materials, avoid contact with aluminum to prevent adverse chemical reaction and possible product failure. Insulate potential ares of contact by coating aluminum bars, rails, posts, etc.