Westcoat EC-34 100% Solids Pigmented Epoxy Topcoat - 1.5 Gallon Kit
Westcoat EC-34 Epoxy Topcoat is a two-component, 100% solids, medium viscosity, low odor, high-build, chemical resistant epoxy.
- ~300-500 ft2 / US gal. (as a primer)
- ~100-300 ft2 / US gal. (as a coating)
- VOC Content: 0 g/l
- Mix Ratio: 2:1 (by volume)
- The surface must be structurally sound, clean, dry, and free of grease, paint, oil, dust, curing agents, laitance or any foreign material that will prevent proper adhesion.
- The concrete should be at least 2,500 PSI and porous or rough enough to allow the product to soak in.
- A minimum of 28 days curing time is required on all concrete.
- Prior to starting work, test existing concrete slab for efflorescence, moisture and hydrostatic pressure.
- Pre-cut and clean all cracks and joints with a concrete diamond blade to at least 1/4 x 1/4 inch.
- Prepare concrete to a profile equal to CSP 3-4 as specified by ICRI.
- Methods may vary according to the condition and hardness of the concrete.
- Other factors include the forecasted use of the surface and the environment in which it is to be installed.
- When preparing the surface use caution when shot blasting, scarifying too aggressively, leaving grind marks or grinding too smooth.
- Please refer to desired System Specification Sheet for more information on preparation.
- All concrete should be tested for moisture before applying a seamless coating.
- If moisture emissions exceed 5 lbs/1000 square feet/24 hours (ASTM F1869) or if the relative humidity (RH) exceeds 75% (ASTM F2170), contact the manufacturer before application.
- Premix each component separately.
- For color consistency, box all part A's.
- In a clean bucket, mix 2 parts A with 1 part B (by volume) of EC-34.
- Mix thoroughly with a low speed (400-600 rpm) drill motor for 3-4 minutes.
- Make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the container during mixing.
- After mixing is completed, remove material from container within 5 minutes, as epoxy will begin to generate heat.
- Spread immediately onto the floor. As product is spread out, you will have longer working time (10-15 minutes at 70°F).
- EC-34 can be thinned with up to 10-20% CA-23 or acetone, by volume.
- If thinned, it must be applied thinly enough to allow solvent to escape (minimum 300 square feet per gallon).
- As a primer: EC-34 may be thinned with up to 100% CA-23 or acetone.
- As a coating: EC-34 may be thinned with 10-20% CA-23 or acetone.
- Coverage will vary depending on condition of surface and desired thickness.
- As a primer: 300-500 square feet per gallon.
- As a coating: 100-300 square feet per gallon.
- As a primer:
- Spray or squeegee and backroll thinned EC-34 onto the surface.
- Primer coat should be applied evenly and worked into the surface to help seal and avoid pinholes.
- When thinned, apply EC-34 at a maximum of 5 mils.
- Do not allow material to puddle.
- As a coating:
- Apply EC-34 within 24 hours after the primer coat.
- Immediately after mixing, spread a strip of material onto the surface along the edges where it will be "cut in" using a brush.
- Pour the remaining material near the "cut in" area and spread evenly using a trowel or squeegee and back roll using a 1/4" to 3/8" nap, non-shedding roller.
- A notched trowel or squeegee will help regulate the thickness and a porcupine roller will help to release trapped air and minimize bubbles.
- Depending on the look, thickness, chemical, and abrasion resistance desired, 1 to 2 coats may be applied.
- Please refer to desired System Specification Sheet for more information on applying the product.
- You may re-coat as soon as the surface is dry to touch or in about 9-10 hours.
- Light foot traffic may be permitted in 12 hours, normal traffic in 24 hours and vehicle traffic in 3 days.
- All times are based on average temperature of 70°F and 50% humidity.
- Cooler temperatures will increase drying time.
- Uncured material should be removed with an environmentally-safe solvent.
- Cured material should be removed mechanically.
- This product is designed for professional use only.
- Be sure to measure and mix properly. Be aware of the pot life of mixed epoxy.
- Do not apply when temperatures are below 50°F or above 90°F. Hot or cold weather will affect dry times.
- Epoxy must be cured for a minimum of 24 hours before coming in contact with water.
- Skid resistant additives are available, such as CA-30 or CA-31.
- For interior use only unless protected by a UV resistant coating.
- Solvents may be required in cooler weather or lower viscosity and increase coverage of 100% solids.
- Please check with local laws governing the use of solvents.
- Do not allow Westcoat products to freeze.