Westcoat EC-32 High Build Clear Epoxy 1.5 Gallon Kit
Westcoat EC-32 High Build Clear Epoxy Topcoat is a two-component, 100% solids, high-build, high viscosity, cyclo-aliphatic, chemical resistant epoxy. This highly versatile epoxy coating has superior clarity. It can be applied directly to the concrete without a special primer.
- The surface must be structurally sound, clean, dry and free of grease, paint, oil, dust, curing agents, laitance or any foreign material that will prevent proper adhesion.
- The concrete should be at least 2,500 PSI and porous or rough enough to allow the product to soak in.
- A minimum of 28 days curing time is required on all concrete.
- Prior to starting work, test existing concrete slab for efflorescence, moisture, and hydrostatic pressure.
- Pre-cut and clean all cracks and joints with a concrete diamond blade to at least 1/4 x 1/4 inch.
- Prepare concrete to a profile equal to CSP 3-4 as specified by ICRI.
- Methods may vary according to the condition and hardness of the concrete.
- Other factors include the forecasted use of the surface and the environment in which it is to be installed.
- When preparing the surface use caution when shot blasting, scarifying too aggressively, leaving grind marks, or grinding too smooth.
- All concrete should be tested for moisture before applying a seamless coating.
- If moisture emissions exceed 5 lbs/1000 square feet/24 hours (ASTM F1869) or if the relative humidity (RH) exceeds 75% (ASTM F2170), contact the manufacturer before application.
- Premix each component separately.
- In a clean bucket, mix 2 parts A with 1 part B (by volume) of EC-32.
- Mix thoroughly with a low speed (400-600 rpm) drill motor for 3-4 minutes.
- Make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the container during mixing.
- After mixing is completed, remove material from container within 5 minutes, as epoxy will begin to generate heat.
- Spread immediately onto the floor. As product is spread out, you will have longer working time (10-15 minutes at 70°F).
- EC-32 can be thinned with up to 100% (equal parts) CA-23 or acetone, by volume.
- If thinned, it must be applied thinly enough to allow solvent to escape (minimum of 300 square feet per gallon).
- As a primer: EC-32 may be thinned with up to 100% CA-23 or acetone.
- As a coating: EC-32 may be thinned with 10-20% CA-23 or acetone.
- As a mortar: thinning is not recommended.
- Coverage will vary depending on the condition of surface and desired thickness.
- As a coating: 100-300 square feet per gallon.
- As a sealer: 300-500 square feet per gallon.
- As a mortar: 30-60 square feet per gallon.
- As a primer:
- Spray or squeegee and backroll thinned EC-32 onto the surface.
- Primer coat should be applied evenly and worked into the surface to help seal and avoid pinholes.
- When thinned, apply EC-32 at a maximum of 5 mils.
- Do not allow material to puddle.
- As a coating:
- Apply EC-32 within 24 hours after the primer coat.
- Immediately after mixing, spread a strip of material onto the surface along the edges where it will be "cut in" using a brush.
- Pour the remaining material near the "cut in" area and spread evenly using a trowel or squeegee and back roll using a 1/4 inch nap, non-shedding roller.
- A notched trowel or squeegee will help regulate the thickness and a porcupine roller will help to release trapped air and minimize bubbles.
- Depending on the look, thickness, chemical, and abrasion resistant desired, 1 to 2 coats may be applied.
- As a sealer:
- EC-32 may be sprayed, brushed, or rolled.
- If rolled, neatly cut-in all edges with a brush and roll the center using a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch nap, good quality, roller cover.
- Be sure to spread evenly in a "V" pattern rolling in both directions.
- Roll product as thin as possible.
- If spraying, use a pump type or airless sprayer after thinning and be sure to spray evenly.
- For an epoxy mortar:
- To create the mortar mix, combine mixed EC-32 with aggregate, at a rate of 50-100 pounds per gallon, depending on aggregate and desired psi.
- Within 24 hours of primer, spread the prepared mortar mix evenly with a trowel.
- Read Epoxy Mortar or Epoxy Mortar Quartz System Specification Sheet for details.
- You may re-coat as soon as the surface is dry to touch or in about 8-10 hours, but no later than 24 hours.
- Light foot traffic may be permitted in 24 hours, heavy foot traffic in 48 hours and vehicle traffic in 3 days.
- All times are based on average temperature of 70°F and 50% humidity.
- Cooler temperatures will increase drying time.
- Uncured material should be removed with an environmentally-safe solvent.
- Cured material should be removed mechanically.
- This product is designed for professional use only.
- Be sure to measure and mix properly. Be aware of the pot life of mixed epoxy.
- Do not apply when temperatures are below 50°F and 90°F. Hot or cold weather will affect dry times.
- Epoxy must be cured for minimum of 24 hours before coming contact with water.
- Skid resistant additives are available, such as CA-30 or CA-31.
- For interior use only unless protected by a UV resistant coating.
- Solvents may be required in cooler weather to lower viscosity and increase coverage of 100% solids.
- Please check with local laws governing the use of solvents.
- Do not allow Westcoat products to freeze.