Schonox AP Self-Leveling Compound
Schönox AP is a synthetic gypsum-based self-leveling compound for the smoothing and leveling of substrates under flexible coverings and wood floors with layer thicknesses of at least 1/8".
How many square feet is your project?
Tip: multiply the length (in feet) by the width (in feet)
|Pour depth||55 lb bags|
- Ready for foot traffic: approx. 2 hours
- Ready for covering after approx. 16 hours at 1/8“
- Working temperature: 41°F - 90°F
- Compressive strength (ASTM C109): 5800 psi after 28 days and 2100 psi after 1 day
- UL-classified in accordance with ASTM E84 (ANSI/UL 723): Flame Spread 0; Smoke Development 0
SCHÖNOX AP is suitable for filling smoothing and leveling of substrates:
- under flexible coverings
- under wood floor, layer thickness at least 1/8" (use elastic adhesives only)
SCHÖNOX AP is suitable on:
- gypsum substrates
- concrete, cement substrates
- old substrates such as ceramic tiles, terrazzo, and sheet vinyl
- old, water-resistant adhesive residues
- OSB board, plywood (well screwed down and/or bonded) prior to install flexible coverings.
- porous substrates such as
- concrete, cement substrates
- primer with SCHÖNOX VD (1:3) or KH FIX
- non porous, smooth, sound substrates such as
- ceramic tiles
- old water-resistant adhesive residues, removed as far as possible
- OSB board, plywood (well screwed down and/or bonded)
- prime with SCHÖNOX SHP
- gypsum substrates (sanded and vacuumed)
- prime with SCHÖNOX KH FIX
- mix each 25 kg / 55 lb. bag with 6.0 liters / 6.3 quarts of water
- we recommend to extend SCHÖNOX AP with dry, clean aggregate (aggregate is added last) at a layer of thickness above 1": Type and amount of aggregate used will affect product performance. As qualities of locally available aggregates vary, we recommend to perform tests prior to use on a larger scale.
- Do not overwater! Foam while mixing, or settling of the sand aggregate while placing, indicates overwatering.
Recommended method of working
- Adequate ventilation is essential when SCHÖNOX AP is being worked to ensure faster drying
- Using a clean mixing drum, add SCHÖNOX AP to cold, clean water to form a homogeneous mixture. Mix thoroughly for approx. 3 minutes using a heavy-duty drill (min. 600 rpm) to obtain a lump-free mix. Then pour the mix and spread using a smoothing trowel. Even surfaces are easily achieved using a pin leveler. In higher thicknesses using a spike roller is recommended.
- Contact to vertical structures should be avoided by putting in SCHÖNOX FOAMTAPE. Avoid direct contact to metallic constructions (e.g. heating pipes), which can lead to corrosion.
- If a second layer of leveling compound is to be applied, prime the first layer with SCHÖNOX KH FIX after drying The maximum layer thickness must not be exceeded in case of two layer applications. The second layer must not exceed the layer thickness of the first layer.
- Protect curing SCHÖNOX AP layers from high ambient temperatures, direct sunlight and draughts.
- Clean tools in water immediately.
- Do not use in areas of constant water exposure (such as interior swimming pools).
- Always install an adequate number of properly located test areas, to include the finish flooring, to determine the suitability of the product for its intended use. As floor coverings vary, always contact and rely upon the floor covering manufacturer for specific directions such as maximum allowable moisture content, adhesive selection, and intended end use of the product.
- Low substrate temperatures and/or high ambient humidity require longer drying times.
- Store in cool and dry conditions.
- Shelf life: 12 months unopened.
- End of shelf life does not generally indicate the end of the products suitability for the intended use Always test in a small area.
- Empty packaging and dispose of in accordance with federal, state, and local waste disposal regulations.
- SCHÖNOX AP contains gypsum and sand aggregate. Avoid eye and skin contact. In case of contact, rinse immediately with plenty of water. In case of contact with eyes seek additional medical advice. Mix in a well ventilated area and avoid breathing powder or dust.
- Never mix with cement or additives other than SCHÖNOX approved products. Observe the basic rules of concrete work. Do not install below 41°F surface temperature. Install quickly if substrate is warm.