Surecrete ColorTec Acrylic WB Pigmented Concrete Sealer - 5 Gallon
ColorTec Acrylic WB is a colored water-based outdoor concrete paint and sealer that contains a hybrid, self-cross-linking, acrylic resin with built-in water repellents and tenacious penetration and adhesion. Pigments are specifically formulated for UV stability, will not blush, and retain long gloss retention.
The principles for surface preparation for ColorTec Acrylic-WB are aligned with other coating systems with other coating systems placed on concrete or cement based overlays, the substrate must be:
- Clean: The surface must be free of dust, dirt, oil, grease, paints, glues, non-acrylic sealers, curing agents, efflorescence, chemical contaminants, rust, algae, mildew, and other foreign matter that may serve as a bond breaker.
- Cured: Any concrete must be sufficiently cured to have complete hydration, approximately 28 days depending on temperatures & humidity. Cement based overlays typically cure sufficiently within 2-3 days.
- Sound: No system should be placed on concrete or cement based overlay that is flaking or spalling. If the surface is delaminating, then diamond grinding, shot blasting, or other mechanical means should be used to remove the delaminating areas.
- Profiled: Proper profile should follow the standard established by the International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI) Technical Guideline no. 03732 for Concrete Surface Profile (CSP). The established profile is categorized as CSP-1. The most common means to properly profile many concrete slabs (especially exterior slabs) is through the use of a pressure washer equipped with a turbo-tip and SCR (see SCR TDS). In one step SCR profiles, cleans, and provides a measure of degreasing. Some concrete slabs that are hard troweled may require more aggressive profiling through diamond grinding or shot blasting. Customarily cement based overlays do not require profiling.
Pigmented WB may serve as an excellent choice to reseal or refresh an existing decorative concrete project. The surface should be cleaned with a pressure washer and SCR (see SCR TDS).
- Any old, loose and flaky sealer that is still present must be removed.
- Chemically: Fast-Strip Plus, Enviro-Strip (see appropriate TDS), or other commercial stripper.
- Mechanically: diamond grinding or shot blasting
- This product should only recoat an existing water based acrylic. Determine a substrate's unknown existing sealer by placing a paper towel saturated with xylene over a small area. Cover the towel with plastic and allow it to remain in place for 15 minutes. Solvent based acrylic turns into a slimy mess that can be scraped off easily.
- Before recoating, prepare on-site a small test area on the intended substrate to establish compatibility and avoid delamination.
- Recoat applications may be complete with a single coat, always evaluate surface to see if a second coat is needed. Best performance is achieved through thin coat(s).
- Provide for ventilation so that vapors do not accumulate if spraying product.
- Select appropriate PPE (personal protection equipment). Use of a NIOSH approved respirator may be required in confined area or if spraying. Refer to SDS.
Mask all areas requiring protection.
- Avoid application on extremely cold or hot days or during wet, foggy weather.
- Apply with ambient and surface temperatures ranging above 50°F (10°C) and below 90°F (32°C) and that will remain within ranges for at least 24 hours following application.
- Do not apply outside if precipitation is forecast within 24 hours of application.
- Substrate must be dry throughout all steps.
- Mechanically mix with "Jiffy" style mixer blade for 3 minutes at medium speed for complete dispersal of pigments.
- Use caution not to entrain air during mixing.
- Utilize a bucket grid to apply in a thin film.
- Roller covers require a solvent resistant core.
- The correct nap size varies due to texture. For example 3/4" is recommended for heavy textured patterns, while 1/4" mohair is recommended for very smooth surfaces.
- Do not allow puddling.
- Exercise care to eliminate roller tracks through back rolling.
- Airless Spraying
- Airless sprayer should be capable of a minimum .5 gpm discharge.
- Tip size should be approximately .015" - .019" with 65° fan.
- For horizontal surface utilize an 8" - 10" extension.
- Maintain a wet edge between passes.
- Pump-up Sprayer
- Select solvent resistant sprayer.
- Select fan or cone tip as preferred that can pass 30% solids product.
- Have sufficient tips on hand to allow clean-up that will not interrupt application.
- If necessary, backroll sprayed area to lay product flat.
When first coat is able to be walked on, it may receive a second coat. To accomplish complete hide (i.e. complete and even color coverage) a second coat is desired. Customarily two thin coats achieve best performance.
- Applies identical to first coat.
- Allow 24 hours cure time prior to foot traffic.
- Allow 72 hours cure time prior to vehicular traffic.
- Two recognized US agencies have issued directives on minimum coefficient of friction, OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administratoin) and Department of Justice through the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).
- ADA is the more stringent of the two. ADA directs that accessible walkways have a minimum coefficient of friction of 0.6. Ramps have been directed to be 0.8.
- The applicator assumes the responsibility to meet these standards.
- Areas that may become wet, oily, or greasy require special attention.
- Refer to SureGrip (Additive) TDS and its accompanying coefficient of friction table.
Due to condition specific sites, always prepare an adequate number of test areas. Wear protection system and aesthetic suitability for products' intended use should be included. On site sample approval is especially critical on substantial, heavy traffic situation, custom coloration, and desired hide.
Before ColorTec Acrylic-WB dries; spills and tools can be cleaned with water.
Contact your local government household hazardous waste coordinator for information on disposal of unused product.
- For use by trained professionals that have read the complete SDS.
- Product performs best upon a concrete slab that has no ponding of standing water.
- When masking use caution while taping to a floor that is not completely cured, especially at edges, as delamination may occur.
- Protect from metal wheel traffic and some furniture where point of contact may be damaging.
- Chemicals used in tire manufacturing may be detrimental to all sealers from vehicular parking.