Surecrete D-FRC Spray Mix - Gray Concrete
SureCrete D-FRC (Decorative Fiber Reinforced Concrete) Spray Mix® is an advanced fiber reinforced concrete formulation of gray portland cement, fibers, and sand designed to allow saturated colors in a convenient dual-component package.
How many square feet is your precast concrete project?
Tip: multiply the length (in feet) by the width (in feet)
|50 lb bags
Fabrication of SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix should be inside a shop. Casting should take place when shop temperature and all materials are maintained between 50°F (10°C) and 90°F (32°C) throughout all fabrication and curing.
Product will dry and cure slower at cool temperatures and conversely, faster at warm temperatures. Full cure is reached at approximately 30 days, like concrete. Although rare, at high altitudes and dry climates, some pieces may require covering with plastic to slow the cure and avoid curling.
Single Bag Batches
- Utilize a handheld concrete mixer with a helical (spiral) mixer blade, such as an Collomix Xo-55 Dual Shaft Mixer or similar.
- Thoroughly mix XS Precast Modifier.
- Add 1 gal (3.8 L) XS Precast Modifier to a clean 5 gal (18.9 L) pail or similar mixing vessel.
- Add Color Packs to XS Precast Modifier (if desired) and mix. Some design elements require the addition of and mixing up to 8 volumetric oz. (0.5 L) of Packing Additive. For specific directions on Packing Additive refer to its TDS
- While mixing add approximately ¾ of the SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix bag.
- Continue mixing until a loose, flowable consistency is achieved.
- Scrape sides of pail with margin trowel to prevent dry pockets from forming.
- Add remaining SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix and continue to mix for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Up to an additional 16 oz (0.5 L) water may be added for a more fluid mix.
The most common method utilizes a traditional compressed air supplied hopper gun, such as Marshalltown Sharpshooter. Spray gun orifice should be approximately ¼” (6.3 mm) or a little larger. Air compressor should be set to approximately 40 PSI (276 kPa) with capacity of the delivery approximately 8 ft³ (0.23m³) per minute. Other methods of application include by trowel or placed by hand.
In hot weather 4-6 hours may be appropriate to de-mold small projects. Cool temperature or pieces with extreme texture will require overnight curing. SureCrete D-FRC Mixes should not be left in the mold past beyond 24 hours, as curling of the piece is likely. A freshly de-molded sample should be handled similar to granite or natural stone, and should be well supported above the work surface to allow the free flow of air around the piece.
All SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix samples require cleaning, except those that are to be polished. SCR diluted with water 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part SCR) is recommended. For specific directions on SCR refer to its TDS.
CHENG's ProFormula Acrylic Slurry or XS Slurry fills pin holes and voids to create a smooth surface. For specific directions on applying the CHENG or XS Slurries or refer to its their individual technical data sheets.
SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix may be polished if desired.
- Polish sample as soon as practical. Allow a minimum of 8 hours cure time.
- Begin with wet grind with 100 grit diamond pad.
- LD1800 may be utilized with wet 100 grit grind to densify and fill pinholes with resultant color match slurry. For specific directions on LD1800 refer to its TDS.
- Allow LD1800 and slurry to dry. Proceed with 200 grit and if any pinholes are still present add more LD1800 and continue grinding.
- Remove any excess dried slurry with the 200 grit.
- Proceed through 400 grit polish. If stain and / or sealer is to be used do not polish past 400 grit, as a measure of profile must be maintained for stain penetration and sealer adhesion.
- If desired and sealer is not used, one can continue polishing through 800 grit and beyond, however, such a piece is subject to staining.
SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix accepts most concrete stains. Eco-Stain adds a desirable design element to any SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix piece and is eco-friendly and UV stable. Staining customarily follows slurry. For specific directions on Eco-Stain refer to its TDS.
SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix pieces are completed by sealing. Two distinct sealers have been created for SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix:
- XS-327 - hybrid water based polyurethane available in matte and gloss finish.
- XS-PC12 - hybrid solvent based polyurea, color enhancing, high gloss mirror finish.
For specific directions on sealing refer to the appropriate TDS.
100% silicone caulk provides an excellent seaming and adhesive fastening material, as it allows for movement of the precast piece. SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix like any other concrete will undergo slight dimensional variations based upon its environment (e.g. shrinkage or expansion).
Do not use caulking or adhesive that could “bleed” through the finished surface, such as petroleum based products. Large pieces and under-mount sinks will require mechanical fastening.
Always prepare an adequate number of test samples for suitability for products’ intended use.
Before SureCrete D-FRC Spray Mix dries; spills and tools can be cleaned up with water.
Contact your local government household hazardous waste coordinator for information on disposal of unused product.See More