Surecrete Xtreme Face Mix - White Concrete Mix
SureCrete’s XS GFRC face mix is a dual component cement based bag mix that perfectly reads the mold or casting surface upon which it is placed, providing a near flawless precast piece. It is not a “stand alone” mix, but is designed to be used in concert with XS Precast or XS Backer.
XS Face greatly reduces the materials and labor required to construct traditional precast concrete. Reinforcement steel is eliminated, thinner precast pieces are routine, quicker production times are accomplished, and no “B” mold is required. A stronger, denser and more flexible cementitious composite is created by combining cutting-edge technology with modern fiber advancements.
With a wide range of coloring and texture selections along with the manipulation of water demand and placement, design considerations are nearly limitless. XS Face produces concrete countertops, fireplace mantles and facades, shower surrounds, wall panels, furniture and many other architectural elements. XS Face is the perfect medium for residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
Fabrication of XS Face Mix should be inside a shop. Casting should take place when shop temperature and all materials are maintained between 50°F (10°C) and 90°F (32°C) throughout all fabrication and curing.
Product will dry and cure slower at cool temperatures and conversely, faster at warm temperatures. Full cure is reached at approximately 30 days, like concrete. Although rare, at high altitudes and dry climates, some pieces may require covering with plastic to slow the cure and avoid curling.
Single Bag Batches
- Utilize a handheld concrete mixer with a helical (spiral) mixer blade, such as an Collomix Xo-55 Dual Shaft Mixer or similar.
- Thoroughly mix XS Precast Modifier.
- Add 1 gal (3.8 L) XS Precast Modifier to a clean 5 gal (18.9 L) pail or similar mixing vessel.
- Add Color Packs to XS Precast Modifier (if desired) and mix. Some design elements require the addition of and mixing up to 8 volumetric oz. (0.5 L) of Packing Additive. For specific directions on Packing Additive refer to its TDS
- While mixing add approximately ¾ of the XS Face Mix bag.
- Continue mixing until a loose, flowable consistency is achieved.
- Scrape sides of pail with margin trowel to prevent dry pockets from forming.
- Add remaining XS Face Mix and continue to mix for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Up to an additional 16 oz (0.5 L) water may be added for a more fluid mix.
The most common method utilizes a traditional compressed air supplied hopper gun, such as Marshalltown Sharpshooter. Spray gun orifice should be approximately ¼” (6.3 mm) or a little larger. Air compressor should be set to approximately 40 PSI (276 kPa) with capacity of the delivery approximately 8 ft³ (0.23m³) per minute. Other methods of application include by trowel or placed by hand.
In warm weather 4-6 hours may be appropriate to de-mold. Cool temperature or pieces with extreme texture will require overnight drying. XS Face should not be left in the mold past a 24 hour period, as curling of the piece is likely. A freshly de-molded sample should be handled similar to granite or natural stone, and should be well supported above the work surface to allow the free flow of air around the piece.
All XS Face Mix samples require cleaning, except those that are to be polished. SCR diluted with water 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part SCR) is recommended. For specific directions on SCR refer to its TDS.
XS Slurry fills pin holes and voids to create a smooth surface. For specific directions on XS Precast Slurry refer to its TDS.
XS Face Mix may be polished if desired.
- Polish sample as soon as practical. Allow a minimum of 8 hours cure time.
- Begin with wet grind with 100 grit diamond pad.
- LD1800 may be utilized with wet 100 grit grind to densify and fill pinholes with resultant color match slurry. For specific directions on LD1800 refer to its TDS.
- Allow LD1800 and slurry to dry. Proceed with 200 grit and if any pinholes are still present add more LD1800 and continue grinding.
- Remove any excess dried slurry with the 200 grit.
- Proceed through 400 grit polish. If stain and / or sealer is to be used do not polish past 400 grit, as a measure of profile must be maintained for stain penetration and sealer adhesion.
- If desired and sealer is not used, one can continue polishing through 800 grit and beyond, however, such a piece is subject to staining.
XS Face Mix accepts most concrete stains. Eco-Stain adds a desirable design element to any XS Face Mix piece and is eco-friendly and UV stable. Staining customarily follows slurry. For specific directions on Eco-Stain refer to its TDS.
XS Face Mix pieces are completed by sealing. Two distinct sealers have been created for XS Face Mix:
- XS-327 - hybrid water based polyurethane available in matte and gloss finish.
- XS-PC12 - hybrid solvent based polyurea, color enhancing, high gloss mirror finish.
For specific directions on sealing refer to the appropriate TDS.
100% silicone caulk provides an excellent seaming and adhesive fastening material, as it allows for movement of the precast piece. XS Face Mix like any other concrete will undergo slight dimensional variations based upon its environment (e.g. shrinkage or expansion).
Do not use caulking or adhesive that could “bleed” through the finished surface, such as petroleum based products. Large pieces and under-mount sinks will require mechanical fastening.
Always prepare an adequate number of test samples for suitability for products’ intended use.
Before XS Face Mix dries; spills and tools can be cleaned up with water.
Contact your local government household hazardous waste coordinator for information on disposal of unused product.Read More